On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:48:57 -0600, Derry, James E <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>The z890 that was loaned to ISU will be configured as a model 370 and with
an IFL.  It will be configured with 4 LPARS.  A z/OS LPAR will be for operating
system students to install, configure and IPL at will.  I can only imagine how
many times that will be IPL'ed in a day.  The other LPAR will be a more stable
z/OS system for teaching DB2, COBOL, Assembler, and other courses.  I heard
at Educause that a large retail company has donated 2 million rows of
transactional DB2 data for the Academic Initiative project.  There will also be
two z/VM LPARS with Linux instances under them.

If the idea is to be haveing students IPL the z/OS partition many times a day,
I do have a suggestion and I must warn you, I was a MVT/MVS/TSO bigot for
a time until I was in an installation where I needed to something similiar. My
direction is to put z/VM in the LPAR for z/OS IPL'ing and you can have as many
students working at one time, versus single threading them through the
computer room at the HMC. I had an LPAR which needed to support my VM/XA
system and my bosses MVS/XA system for testing. After I getting it in the
morning and the rest of the shop got it in the afternoon, I finally IPL'ed a
VM/XA Hypervisor bare-bones system and IPL'ed my VM/XA test system 2nd
level and his MVS/XA system 2nd level. He worked on his system most of the
afternoon and saw me working on mine and was very puzzled. He asked my
how and all I said was, "You are my Guest" and he knew, blew up and
threatened to fire me. He was a civilian and I was military. He crashed all
systems and was furious. About 3 days later it dawned on him the value and I
showed him how he could IPL his system from his desk, etc.

To do what you have to do is quite easy and since you have z/VM expertise, it
should very, very, simple. Besides the DASD savings can be enormous. I would
define for my trainee, a 15 3390 system which was only actually using 5 3390-
3 volumes (3 mini-disk volumes per real volume). So to my trainee, it looked
like he had 15 actual volumes to make it seem more world like. Then they
could ipl it from their desk, etc. So they had to learn how to build the
system,
cutomize everything from PARMLIB to JES2 to VTAM to etc.  AND if they hosed
things up, it would not harm anything.

Think about it.  I know IBM understands the value of z/VM for their training
classes are most always hosted as z/OS guests of z/VM.

jim