On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:38:03 +0100, Miklos Szigetvari
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    Hi
>
>    We plan to upgrade our z/800 C01 to a z9 machine.
>We have currently about 130 Mips and we would need a double capacity.
>Some questions:
>- one processor or two ?
>- we heard that the ICF now a unique processor or can be shared with a
>general processor , but
>not with IFL. If it is in  "non dynamic" mode ,  what would be the CPU
>load ?
>- is it possible to "upgrade" the z/800 for a test period to see the
>performance of the new configuration ?

Recently upgraded from a z900-101 to an z9BC-O02 and z900-102 to z9BC-
T03.
1. You have an option of 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 engines. Keep in mind one buys
engines and adapts the power to them, i.e.

1-CP or U01=270MIPS, 2-CP or O02=252MIPS or 3-CP or M03=249MIPS, see
the chart for the IBM 2096 offers (73 of them). Really depends on if you need
engines for LPARs and dispatching or engines for MIPS in one box. I opted for
engines to dispatch. My CF is dedicated and never looked to see if it could
double as a CP engine. If it did, not sure about how it affect software
billing.

Upgrading the z800 is always a possibility depending. I upgraded an IBM 2064-
102 to an IBM 2064-103 even after the 2064 was declared obsolete through a
special arrangement with IBM and N/C; although the z9BC was a done deal.

I would not buy excess capacity until you need it and it can be turned on with
a credit card because the available engines are all being used as spares or you
can up the processing power of existing engines in very small increments.

Would recommend you look at Crypto Accelerators for SSL and Crypto
Cooprocessors for encryption needs. These engines are only a few thousand
dollars compared to the CP engines which are are down from the $90-120K
into the $50-60K range. Also would look at firms like Mainline, etc, and also
IBM to make it a horse race for your dollars. IBM may not win but you can get
a brand new z9BC from those third party sources with just as good as service.

Just gotta love the competition these days.      Jim