You are absolutely right, but this issue keeps coming up because the
behaviour of the compiler in this instance isn't exactly 'intuitive'.   I'll
bet that 9 out of 10 programmers who read the manual come away with the
impression that COPY REPLACING is a string replacement function and are very
disappointed when that turns out not to be the case.