On Dec 3, 2007, at 7:52 PM, Clark F Morris wrote:

On 3 Dec 2007 05:54:20 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

You are absolutely right, but this issue keeps coming up because the
behaviour of the compiler in this instance isn't exactly 'intuitive'. I'll bet that 9 out of 10 programmers who read the manual come away with the impression that COPY REPLACING is a string replacement function and are very
disappointed when that turns out not to be the case.

If you would like COPY xxx REPLACING LEADING/TRAILING yyy BY zzz then
check out whether there is an existing SHARE requirement for it in
addition to the general requirement to support the 2002 COBOL
standard.  If there is (and I think I submitted it), then have your
organization (company, university, etc.) file the appropriate
concurrence with IBM.  You might even make a stink about the lack of
improvements in the language that is supposedly the one of the future.
Personally, given IBM and other vendor actions, I believe it is a cash
cow on a long term death bed.

Clark Morris

I will stay out of this ruckus, but IMO you are right Clark.

Ed