David Cole wrote:
>>I no longer believe that IBM is acting in the long term interest of
>>the z/OS industry.

Well here is my $0.05 worth...

How long did Amdahl last ? Os shall I say  How far were they prepared to
support the people that trusted them enough to buy a mainframe off
them...
I firmly believe in competition, but so many times I have seen someone
coming into an area where someone else have been operating successfully
for many years, undercutting the prices, not making if after the
original guy went bust. I don't for one moment think IBM will end up
like DEC that was bought by Olivetti?? Who was bought by Compaq who was
bought by HP??? Yet, these new guys will come in, do the business for a
few years, mainly because they want to make their investors money, but
they will end up paying IBM so much in legitimate patent fees, that they
will have to give it up. Unless it is someone big like Sun / HP, that
actually have enough R&D resources available... They will just become
another lot that will finally drive a few more mainframe users to HP /
Dell.

Regards

Herbie