On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 08:32:35 -0600, Rick Fochtman wrote:

>>Yeah?  So when can we expect IBM to recognize its blunder and abandon
>>its commitment never to provide customers anything better than a 3390?
>>
>----------------------<unsnip>-------------------
>Define "better". One of the biggest complaints about IBM's DASD upgrades

Size matters.

>was the constantly changing geometry; that's why the geometry is
>"frozen" at the 3390 level. And by freezing the geometry, they're free
>to affect other improvements, like RAID technology, reliability, reduced
>power and A/C requirements, etc. without having customers ticked off by
>changes in track length, etc.and consequent changes to old JCL.

And a similarly big complaint is the increasing complexity of
the process of allocating and using increasingly large data sets.

It's all emulated now.  Surely a future product could have a
firmware setting either to emulate a large number of 3390
volumes for customers afflicted with "dusty decks" or a single
enormous volume of the new architecture, or any mixture of the
two.

To support increasingly large data sets, it's necessary either
to provide a new device geometry or increase the ceiling on the
number of volumes in a multivolume data set (and remove such
restrictions as the prohibition of multivolume PDSEs).  It's
not apparent to me that the former introduces more complexity
or incompatibility than the latter.

-- gil