On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 16:36:30 -0800, Edward Jaffe wrote:

>Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>> Ummm.  I think the platter size is pretty much maxed out to the
>> capacity of CC.  But the unused capacity of HH should allow for
>> thousands more platters than 15.
>>

>And that's four bits, which is a lot! Disk addresses are currently of
>the form 'cc0hr' where '0' is an unused nibble for 3390 geometry. If the
>current max disk size is 54GB, then 16 times that much would be ...

ITYM "bytes", not "nibbles".  I see:

    6.7 "z/OS V1R7.0 DFSMSdfp Diagnosis"

                   DESCRIPTION OF THE F7 FORWARD POINTER

    135 (87) CHARACTER 5
                DS7PTRDS POINTER (CCHHR) TO NEXT FORMAT 7 DSCB OR ZERO
    135 (87)
        *           DS7CCPTR           TWO BYTES OF CYLINDER DATA (CC)
        *           DS7HHPTR           TWO BYTES OF HEAD DATA (HH)
        *           DS7RPTR            ONE BYTE OF RECORD DATA (R)
        *           DS7END             END OF THE DSCB 7 MAPPING

So, not 54 GB times 16, but 54 GB times 4096.

Have I missed something?

"No one will ever need more than 640 KiB."

"No one will ever need more than 32 MiB."

"No one will ever need more than 2 GiB."

etc.

-- gil