>>> On Wed, Dec 5, 2007 at  5:07 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Doc Farmer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Nope, no joke.  Pretty much my entire career has been focused on MVS and
> z/OS.  While I know about the other z Architectures, I've never looked into
> their emulation.
>
> Okay, I dabbled with OS/400, once, but I was young and reckless...

Well, a little bit of terminology cleanup is needed here.  There is only one
z/Architecture, and that's what defines the hardware.  There are a number of
operating systems that will run on that hardware, z/OS being one of them, as
well as VSE, VM, Linux, TPF, and possibly others.  Only one emulator is needed
for any of them, since Hercules fits that bill quite nicely.  If you want to
get really picky, Hercules is multiple architecture emulators rolled into one:
370, XA,, ESA, S/390, zSeries, etc.  Anything that will run on the real
hardware works pretty well on the emulator(s).  The only operating systems that
are legal to run on Hercules are Linux, and MVS 3.8 (I think).  But, that
discussion has been flogged to death many, many times.

Mark Post