that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shmuel Metz  , Seymour J.) writes:
>>The only operating systems that are legal to run on Hercules are Linux,
>>and MVS 3.8 (I think).
>
> Shirley all of these are legal:
>
>    BOS/360
>    BPS/360
>    CALL/360
>    CP/67
>    DOS/VSE
>    DOS/360
>    MTS
>    OS/VS1
>    OS/VS2 R1.7 (SVS)
>    TOS/360
>    TSS/360
>    VMF/370

this recent post references
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007u.html#18 Folklore references to CP67 at
Lincoln Labs

some (virtual machine) cp67 historical references from Melinda's VM
paper at
http://www.princeton.edu/~melinda/

mentioning that very early, two new commercial companies were formed to
offer (virtual machine) cp67-based commercial timesharing services
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#timeshare

drawing people heavily from Science Center,
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

Lincoln Labs, and Union Carbide.

It also makes references to MTS folklore having been initially built on
top of Lincoln Labs "LLMPS".

There was an OS/360 operators console application called ONLINE/OS that
provided CMS-like interactive functionality. It was most frequently used
with PCP ... but could also be used on MFT and MVT.

CP67 had a function that could save a "virtual memory" image of a
running virtual machine. This was used with CMS to get rapid startup.
However, a technique was developed that could also "checkpoint" a
virtual memory image of OS/360 ... at point when I/O had been quiesed
... allowing OS/360 "quick start" in a virtual machine (just restore the
saved virtual memory image). This could be used in conjunction with
restoring a saved image of OS/360 where ONLINE/OS had already been up
and running.

old posts mentioning online/os
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001i.html#34 IBM OS Timeline?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001n.html#45 Valid reference on lunar mission data
being unreadable?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004.html#48 AMD/Linux vs Intel/Microsoft
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004d.html#33 someone looking to donate IBM
magazines and stuff
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007b.html#50 Is anyone still running

part of Melinda's paper has appendix mentioning ONLINE/OS was never
released outside the company (although I had a copy of it at the
university in the 60s, also much of the original work had been done by a
person on assignment from Union Carbide) ref:

E.C. Hendricks, C.I. Johnson, R.D. Seawright, and D.B. Tuttle,
Introduction to ONLINE/OS and ONLINE/OS User’s Guide, IBM Cambridge
Scientific Center Reports 320-2036, 320-2037, March, 1969