Shane wrote:
So ... let's just drop an SRB (which apparently doesn't qualify as
"code" ???) in one of (the ???) most important address spaces in the
system.

Turn on a trace sometime and watch how many SRBs are scheduled into MSTR. Based on your response above, you might want to have a seat first. :-)

And let's use a justification that includes:
<quote>
Correctness
        the design must be correct in all observable aspects. It is
        slightly better to be simple than correct.
</quote>

I wasn't offering Gabriel's work or Wikipedia's summary of it as justification of anything. (But, I hope you found it interesting reading. Helps explain a lot about the rise of C, Windows, UNIX, et al. in spite of alternative developments based on "better" technology.)

Rather, I was simply attempting to reiterate what most everyone already knows to be true: The simplest solution tends to be the one that works best and is least exposed to catastrophic failures in the long run.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc