Hi, Again it's me, with my newbie like questions. I have no experience with mainframes so I always think to map mainframe world with intel based servers world. If we have an J2EE based application which we need to deploy on WebSphere application server, and our J2EE application uses DB2 as its database, what can be possible deployment schema if our system need to be highly available, assume that we have redundant network infrastructures, power supply and a secondary site in another geographical location.

What I am looking to understand is how our application server instances and DB2 instances will run inside the each mainframe.

For now, I have two dell servers each one has two instance of application server, so I have four instance of application server with a load balancer in front of them to route the request and keep each server busy enough. I have two Database server instances which handle all database requests.

I find some information from the articles available in IBM web site, articles like :
https://www6.software.ibm.com/developerworks/education/websphere/0708_faulhaber/index.html

I found that ODR will act as load balancer instead of web server that I used with dell servers. But I can not understand do we install all ODR instances and real work load servers into one single operating system? Or we should install several instance of zOS into mainframe LPARs and then install each of these instances into a separate operating system?

Please, If there are some articles or presentation that can help me learn more about this schema, give me a link to it.

Thank you.