Everything that applies to creating a reasonable, maintainable
WebSphere Application Server environment on distributed platforms
(AIX, Linux, Windows, whatever) also applies to the mainframe.  You
should have a cluster, preferably with the cluster members on different
LPARs on different boxes.  If that's not possible, then have the cluster
members on different LPARs on the same box.  If that's not possible, I
recommend that you have a cluster (of perhaps just 2 nodes) on a
single LPAR.  Why?  Even though it adds a few extra address spaces, I
think the benefits of maintainability are significant.  With a cluster, you
can apply maintenance, either to Java, WebSphere, or your application,
to one of the nodes, and leave the other node up, handling requests.
No down time.  You don't get that benefit if you are running with a
single controller with multiple servants.

The document which you referenced is for WebSphere XD, and it's not
clear that you need to go down that path (although it definitely has
some cool functionality).  One place to go is to the IBM Techdocs site
(http://www.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/Web/Techdocs -
watch for wrap), and search for "WebSphere and z/OS", and any
documents by Bagwell or Hutchinson are usually going to be very
valuable.

Load balancing - Sysplex Distributor provides good load balancing on
the front end, plus if they are webapp requests, using the WebSphere
plug-in in the HTTP server works great.  If you are balancing EJB
requests, if you are running a cluster it's pretty much built in to the
ORB.  You may have to do a little tuning to get it perfect.

Should you have the WebSphere Application server on the same LPAR
as DB2?  Probably.  If you do, then you can use jdbc type 2
connections, which provide better performance than type 4.  However,
if you have zIIP(s), I don't know if you would get a better ROI by using
the type 4 driver.  I was told at least a year ago that there was going
to be a paper coming out comparing the two, but I have yet to see it.

Aaron