On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:55:21 -0700, Kopischke, David G. wrote:

>Greetings,
>   About six months ago, a story appeared in SearchDataCenter concerning
>the NYSE migration to UNIX/LINUX platforms. Since it's been six months,
>I wrote to the author this morning requesting a follow up. He responded
>almost immediately that he'd look into it.

And today, I came across this in the SearchEnterpriseLINUX.com daily mail:

HP LINUX SERVERS BOLSTER NYSE TRADING APP
Bridget Botelho, News Writer

In a rare glimpse into a mission-critical Wall Street IT operation, the New
York
Stock Exchange (NYSE) has confirmed that it recently purchased roughly 600
Hewlett-Packard Co. servers in support of its
Linux-based online trading system.

In October 2006, NYSE introduced the electronic trading system, the NYSE
Hybrid Market, to allow investors to buy and sell stocks on the trading room
floor and via the Internet. The NYSE Hybrid Market now handles more than 500
million messages a day, requiring more servers and storage, said Steve
Rubinow, the chief information officer at
NYSE.

To accommodate the online trading system, NYSE commissioned HP to replace
old server and storage infrastructure.

Sorry about the wrap:
http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci
1285921,00.html?track=NL-
383&ad=616820&asrc=EM_NLN_2744362&uid=279318

600 servers to replace 1 1600 MIPS mainframe ??? It reads like there's more to
it than this, but it's still incredible. The annual power bill alone could
probably
buy a new z9.