On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:09:03 -0600, Peter Ten Eyck
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have a running z/OS 1.7 system with two user catalogs attached to the
>master catalog. Call the first A and the second B. Catalog B has all the tape
>entries I want. How can I get all the tapes entries in catalog B into
catalog A.
>When I am done I do not want any of the original catalog A tape entries, just
>the tape entries from catalog B into catalog A.

I assume both catalogs have more than just tape entries and you don't
want to use REPRO MERGECAT.

I would use something like MCNVTCAT (which I still have a copy of) or the
REXX version of it from the CBT (RCNVTCAT) to dump both catalogs and
message the tape entry output from cat a into IDCAMS DELETE NSCR
cards and delete everything but the IDCAMS DEFINE NVSAM tape entries
from the cat b output and run those into cat a.

Note that if using MCNVTCAT I think there is a limitation of 5 volumes that
it creates per dsn in the DEFINE cards... so watch out for that.  Search
the archives for discussions of MCNVTCAT vs. RCNVTCAT and the reasons
(like the one just mentioned) that IBM stopped distributing MCNVTCAT.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]