I can sympathize Ed. We were on the edge with WebSphere on z/OS when I believe
the freeware, v3.02, came out in 2001 and we had quite a time with problems and
support on all sides including my own due to lack of practical experience. When
I recommended, in a call to developers at our corporate site, that we shoot an
early problem with some debug code I was told that they were not going to try
that approach. When IBM got involved they made the same recommendation and all
of a sudden the developers are putting in the code. Ended up being a resource
spin condition due to mishandling of a double mouse click on the same screen.
No dumps were read during this problem and I don't remember why.

  I do believe the skills now exist, master skills, although they are probably
in very short supply. Ran into another more intermittent problem, this took
about 14 - 16 months, with a storage leak/creep in the heap and it took literal
table pounding after several months to get people with significant knowledge on
the problem. Once Watson and Hursley were put on it took about a month to 6
weeks, the problem was very intermittent and they had requested additional dump
options, before they finally pinned it down to internal table
validation/mismatch. Even after looking at the dump they were not exactly sure
where the problem was but knew enough to write some debug code to finally trap
it. This last group of folks were very good. This might be an area I'd like to
get into at some point since I have found the z/OS WebSphere stuff to be very
interesting, will work for food.

Edward Jaffe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Exactly! I've run into *massive* skills shortage problems trying to get
the Library Server for z/OS fixed.

When working one problem in particular, I was training *them* on how I/O
works in MVS! On a telephone conference call, they were suggesting I do
things that make sense only on a PC. (Can't remember the specifics. But,
it was laughable!) And, try as I might, I simply could not understand
one of the guys at all -- his accent was so heavy. And, the rest of them
pretended not to notice. (That was a language skills shortage. Equally
frustrating. But, perhaps I digress...) After a year of back and forth,
I finally just decided not to use the "broken" function because it was
clear they could/would never fix it. I judged them incapable of doing so.

I sent a dump for another problem with the same group. The dump had
"everything in it but the kitchen sink" and the response came back, "The
dump was not helpful to the developer. We need to try to recreate in
house." Translation? "The developer does not know how to read the dump.
He only knows how to reproduce bugs under his debugger." I got so
frustrated by this, I demanded a conference call with two levels of
management for this group. While the managers readily acknowledged their
skills shortage, and tried to placate me by telling about plans to add
more z/OS-centric people to the mix, they _actually believed_ that
chasing dumps was unproductive. They told me most of their support
effort involves wading through source code to see what might be going
wrong. (No wonder they move so slowly!!!) I almost laughed out loud!
Their dump reading skill shortage was so acute, the managers were
convinced that dumps were useless clumps of bits & bytes. Virtual boat
anchors.

There's not much you can do when the skills shortage affects all levels
of an organization. I tried my best to convince them that effective dump
analysis is what makes z/OS a robust platform and that such skills
should be emphasized. I doubt they ever fully understood the point I was
trying to make.

In the end, we agreed to send, and they agreed to accept, licensed and
proprietary documentation (softcopy books) from which they were finally
able to reproduce the problem locally on a PC. Sad.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc