I recall in 1988 having some software step on an idcams control block that
was part of chain that dynamically grew and shrunk depending on how the
dataset was accessed. It only happened about every three months and by the
time the traps were fine-tuned to catch it, the software was all replaced
and it stopped happening.

In the case of a changing data structure being overwritten by defective
code, if the problem cannot be reproduced it can be very difficult to
diagnose.