I disagree with CC. If a vendor can't tell me how much storage is
needed, I get VERY LEERY. I can't afford (when I'm working, at least) to
have a storage hog that might adversely affect performance of my entire
image. Not only do I have to be concerned about storage creep in
programs, my other concern in this area is the poor slob who expects to
store a week's SMF data in a VIO file. And a management that doesn't
allow the use of controls in this area only adds to my headaches.....

Sometimes it is impossible to do that as is the case with Java. The amount
of storage used within the JVM has a static component based on user
definitions, but after that it is a function of what the Java program is
doing and there is no way the calculate that as it is completely dynamic
and can vary from one run to another based on what the program does. It
also depends on how the customer has set up LE, CTG, DB2 etc. etc., so
there are other variables to make it even harder. You can get typical
sizes for the application by experience.

Not trying to excuse Java, it is just how the software works. Storage
creep can also be due to the way that the users write their code, it is
not always the fault of the software vendor.

It would be nice if everything was straight-forward in this world, but it
refuses to play ball.

Mike Poil
Java z/OS Level 3 Service
IBM United Kingdom Limited, Hursley Park, Winchester SO21 2JN
Internal: 246824  External: +44 (0)1962 816824
Java debugging: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/diagnosis/

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.