On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:09:19 +0100, Vernooy, C.P. - SPLXM
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Mark Zelden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:09:52 -0600, Dave Kopischke
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>their
>amount
>> >>
>> <snip>
>>

>> >We had similar issues. Test and development JOBs sitting in an
>initiator
>> getting
>> >no service for hours. Tying up an initiator that could be used for
>production
>> >JOBs. And when they stack up, taking up more and more initiators,
>what do
>> >you do ???
>> >

>> Separate initiators between production / test job classes, add more
>> initiators or
>> convert to WLM controlled initiators for some, most or all the job
>classes.
>>
>> Unless you are *really* storage constrained (I don't know who is these
>> days), there is no harm in an idle address space taking up an
>initiator.  Unless
>> of course it has a resource (ENQ) on something a production job
>needs...
>> but that is a completely different issue.
>>
>> Mark
>
>....which is solved by the Blocked Workload Support in z/OS 1.9 with PTFs
>available for 1.8 and 1.7.
>See Flash10609,
>http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/FLASH10609

Not at all.  That is good for some resource held that is needed for a very
short duration - most likely a latch (think PDSE/HFS).   It will do nothing for
a test job holding a production data set getting so few CPU resources that
it runs for hours instead of minutes.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden