Mohammad Khan writes:
>Even that's not so clear cut anymore. Indian company Hindustan Aeronautics

>Limited(HAL) has been supplying parts to Boeing for some time.

Yes, indeed. Boeing sources parts from around the world, including India.
Japan is a major supplier of aircraft parts and subassemblies to Boeing,
for example. (And Boeing thoroughly dominates the Japanese airliner
market.)

However, again, the growth figure I cited was in net U.S. dollar terms, not
Indian Rupees. HAL's aircraft parts get counted as exports from India to
the U.S. (imports to the U.S.), and then Boeing's whole assembled airplane
gets counted as a much bigger export from the U.S. to India. The 25+ growth
(2006 v. 2005) measures exports. I can safely assume that U.S. labor
productivity did not grow at 25 percent, even including extra overtime, so
by definition that export growth created jobs in the United States.

There's no question there are both "winners" and "losers" (from the U.S.
employment perspective) in U.S.-India bilateral trade, and there's also no
question that changes in trade flows are disruptive. But there are many,
many winners, and that's my point. I leave it to others to compare,
contrast, and quantify the winners v. losers, but hopefully not in
IBM-MAIN.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]