List,

This question relates to migrating from a Flex server with no external tape
or external disk to a new z9 + external DS6000 disk. We have no tape units
installed on the z9 and zVM is not installed the flex box.

We wish to migrate the zOS systems and data currently in use to the new z9
environment.

For simplicity sake imagine it is a one pack zOS system we need to move;
once we can ipl this we are in business to do more.

How might you do this, our thinking went like:

1. Use new z/OS starter system - not possible since we have no external tape
to restore it from

2. Connect new server to the existing disk or old server to the new disk
systems - not possible, the old system has only internal disk and the new
disk is FICON and cannot be connected to the old processor.

So this leaves us with

3. Load and customise zVM via the z9 HMC using DVD's thus having a zVM and
CMS environment and somehow "dump" the old system and FTP it across to the
new zVM & CMS system running on the z9

This is where the questions arise and looking for some help or ideas as to
how to make this work or if not possible.

We see the steps as:

        We believe we can build a Stand Alone (SA) DFDSS pgm in card image
form (BUILDSA) on the old system and FTP this across to a CMS user.
        This user should be able to receive this card image as a CMS file
and "punch" it to the virtual reader.
        We could then "IPL" from the reader on this zVM virtual machine
        This then creates a IPL'd SA DFDSS environment

This last and final part is the bit we are struggling with. We can create a
DFDSS full volume dump of the OnePak System to DISK and FTP it to the
zVM/CMS system on the z9.

What I am struggling with is how to get the as input to the DFDSS SA program
from the zVM/CMS environment?

Is this a complete non starter as a process OR if possible; how would it be
done?

Any details of the process and commands that should be used to achieve this
would be well appreciated.

Any help gratefully received.

Regards

Mark