All

A new problem #10 and another solution for problem #9 have been posted on
the contest web site here:

http://z390.sourceforge.net/z390_Mainframe_Assemble_Coding_Contest.htm

This new problem should not be too hard (no floating point required) so you
can work on it while watching bowl games etc.  First solution submitted gets
first place unless it gets bumped by a significantly faster simpler solution.
Next week’s problem involving hash tables will be more challenging, but also
more useful.

Congratulations to Lindy Mayfield for the second solution to problem #8.  This
solution uses a series from a Rexx program that has all positive terms and only
requires 3 floating point (multiply, divide, and add) instructions per
iteration.
However, it requires 39 iterations to reach 33 significant digits of precision
compared to 7 for Melvyn’s first place entry.  Lindy and I jointly worked on
debugging the assembler version of the Rexx program.  I also added z390 CTD
services to display value of Pi and the difference from known value of Pi on
each iteration.  This solution also uses inline version of LX and STX macros to
simplify loading and storing of extended floating point values in storage.

Any  and all feedback, comments, suggestions, new problems, and solutions
welcome.  And Happy New Year!

Don Higgins
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://don.higgins.net