On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 18:11:20 -0500, Craddock, Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>  I have 3 monoplexes that have SMSPDSE1 but all of them
>> also specify PDSESHARING(EXTENDED)
>
>Color me confused. PDSE sharing across sysplex boundaries is forbidden
>and so specifying it for a monoplex would seem to be superfluous at
>best.

Yes... but required for PDSE_RESTARTABLE_AS(YES) as I wrote.  We added
PDSESHARING(EXTENDED) and PDSE_RESTARTABLE_AS(YES) as we
rolled out z/OS 1.6.  Why is it required?  Ask IBM.  I'm sure they will give
you a good reason. :-)

http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0801&L=ibm-main&D=1&amp;O=D&P=5480

BTW, since I have nothing better to do (NOT) during our year end change
freeze, I did try IPLing a monoplex sandbox LPAR without
PDSESHARING(EXTENDED) along with specifying PDSE_RESTARTABLE_AS(YES)
and SMSPDSE1 was not created as documented.

Doc from the fine manual:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IEA2E280/54.9?SHELF=IEA2BK80&DT=20070516223132

PDSE_RESTARTABLE_AS(YES|NO)

Specifies whether PDSE initialization during IPL NIP processing brings up a
second restartable PDSE address space.

If you specify PDSE_RESTARTABLE_AS(YES), with PDSESHARING(EXTENDED), and
EXTENDED sharing is not used, processing does not allow PDSE initialization
to create a second restartable PDSE address space.

The PDSE_RESTARTABLE_AS specification is set in the IGDSMSxx member of
SYS1.PARMLIB. This value cannot be changed through an operator

Default: NO

--
Mark Zelden
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]