-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mohammad Khan
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 3:08 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: It keeps getting uglier

Nice argument but do you have any law firbidding reverse engineering to
make compatible products ? Patents are the only legal instrument that
would deny such a competetion. When no patents are involved it's a fair
game. Even when patents are involved they can be challanged for
specificity, applicablity etc. Either IBM shows that PSI has voilated a
patent or shut up. Restricting the use of software by EULA's is not a
fair practice. Think of Microsoft requiring that you run their software
on an Intel CPU only.
Mohammad

<SNIP>

While you might actually get a challenge to "shrink-wrap open it and you
agree to the EULA" through a court, and that court might strike down all
or parts of the EULA for any number of reasons, you have opened a can of
worms.

Should Microsoft purchase AMD or Intel, and then start putting out
copies of Windoze that will only run on a CPU made by that company (by
putting in secret instructions, or specialized code to enhance running
speeds), you have just stepped into the problem of IBM vs PSI.

As you can see, your argument misses that IBM makes both the hardware
and the software. And they architect the hardware FOR their SCPs and
they architect their software FOR their hardware.

That they have shared information on their hardware for z/Linux is the
only saving grace that PSI can grab onto at this point (from this
particular perspective). But why by a PSI machine just to run z/Linux?

My whole problem with this is, PSI relied on certain information that
IBM stated on their web site. I believe this is considered to be
"holding out" (not keeping from, but holding themselves out to do ....).
The timing of the change in IBM's policy and the filing of the case is
somewhat suspect.

So it is not quite that simple.

And all arguments to the contrary, IBM did license their patents, and so
they did BILLIONS of dollars of research. They chose (up to the point
they pulled their web page) to license their patents. And at the same
time, as I have said before, IBM licenses other patents for their
systems (e.g., AMDAHL had several that IBM licensed).

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- All opinions expressed by me are my own and may not necessarily
reflect those of my employer. --