-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Arthur T.
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:47 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: OT: loose vs. lose

      I'm sorry about this rant, but one annoying spelling problem seems
to have reached epidemic proportions.  I'm afraid people are forgetting
what they know and are just repeating the mistakes they see here.

Loose: v. Free from restraint
Loose: adj. Not tight
Loose: adv. Without restraint

Lose: v. Fail to keep or to maintain; fail to win
<SNIP>

And now for the obligatory history post:

This problem brought to you by the School of Communications, UC
Berzerkely.

Also the ones that attempted to bring you Ebonics (indirectly as I
recall).

The thought being that one only needs to communicate. Correct spellings
and grammar are impediments to people being able to communicate.

>> As a result, I keep wincing when my daughter tells me she wants to be
an English teacher, when she has serious problems with spelling,
punctuation, syntax, etc. And she is a Sophomore in college!!

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- All opinions expressed by me are my own and may not necessarily
reflect those of my employer. --