On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 11:30:46 -0600, Paul Gilmartin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Indeed.  Is service likewise available over Internet?  Requirements?
>Format?  Conventions?  Citation?

Service for z/VM has been available via Internet delivery for at least the
last 8 years or so. When you order the latest z/VM RSU, you request delivery
via the Internet....after a few minutes (30 minutes, tops) you get an e-mail
from IBM telling you where to go, and what user-id and password to use to
download the z/VM service envelopes via FTP. You then upload the VM service
envelop(es) to your maintenance z/VM user id, un-terse them, and begin the
service process. Piece of cake....you z/OS guys have been really missing
out....:-)

>"z/VM base"?  Does this mean a new customer with no previously running
>z/VM system can order z/VM delivery over Internet for installation on
>that pristine system?
>
>Thanks,
>gil

It's my understanding, Gil, that what you download from the IBM FTP site is
a set of  that are in such a format that they can be used to recreate the
installation media, in this case a DVD. A starter installation VM system can
be IPL-ed from the DVD and it is used, in turn, to install the production VM
and all of the desired features. At the moment, all of z/VM fits onto one
DVD, plus one extra DVD to hold the latest RSU.

DJ