From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Miklos Szigetvari
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 2:10 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Keep only the tail of the dataset

   Hi

   Searching for a method to keep/access only the tail of a dataset.
An application writes internal traces , several million lines. I would like to keep only the last part of the trace.
Any simple method to achive this ?
(Currently I can think to pipe under USS , and write a small program to wrap around )

--
Miklos Szigetvari

If you want a "wrap around" type log, then I think that the easiest way
to do so would be to have a preformatted BDAM or VSAM RRDS dataset. I'd
personally go with the RRDS. Have the first record be dedicated to
keeping the "next" record number to write. Also, have the maximum record
number in there. Now have your subroutine simply increment the record
number and wrap around from the max to 1 (skipping 0). You could either
update record 0 upon every write (high overhead) or only periodically. I
would also keep a timestamp in every record so that you could use SORT
to put the records in order. This is about as simple as I can think of
off-hand.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.

Miklos Szigetvari

Development Team
ISIS Information Systems Gmbh tel: (+43) 2236 27551 570 Fax: (+43) 2236 21081 E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Info: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Hotline: +43-2236-27551-111 Visit our Website: http://www.isis-papyrus.com ---------------------------------------------------------------
This e-mail is only intended for the recipient and not legally
binding. Unauthorised use, publication, reproduction or
disclosure of the content of this e-mail is not permitted.
no responsibility for malicious or inappropriate content.