JJ,

There is an option that you might be interested in. The program which
does this "switching" can use the CICS function:

EXEC CICS SET FILE(....) EMPTYREQ
END-EXEC

Just before it does the OPEN for the new journal dataset name. If the
VSAM cluster is defined as REUSE, this will cause VSAM to "empty" the
VSAM file and you are now looking as if you are in LOAD mode.

ref:
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/DFHA8A08/2.14
9

You'd see something in the code like:

EXEC CICS SET FILE(ABC) CLOSED DISABLED
END-EXEC

EXEC CICS SET FILE(ABC) DSNAME(NEWDSN)
END-EXEC

EXEC CICS SET FILE(ABC) EMPTYREQ
END-EXEC

EXEC CICS SET FILE(ABC) OPEN ENABLED
END-EXEC

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.