On Jan 29, 2008, at 12:06 AM, Lindy Mayfield wrote:

You can tell SAS which record type to use (as long as it is > 127), and
the SMF options can be put into a restricted options table so that a
user cannot touch them.  So you definitely pick an unused record type
number.

The actual writing of the record is done by the SAS SVC so none of the
SAS programs need to reside in APF controlled libraries.

Lindy

Lindy,

SIGH... thats nice about non authorized library but the issue is still there. One place I worked it was a *CONSTANT* battle to find a free SMF record type we had a board with product assignments to records and sometimes it was 2 years before one freed up. Meanwhile the user was screaming and all we could tell them was go out and do battle with this department or another. They sometimes would and basically get thrown back to us. All we could do is to sympathize and just say wait.

Now if you were to ask are *ALL* the records needed I would say no. Most of the time it was the idea if you don't use the product it gets dumped and that is really the only way to do it (in our case). We had the biggest hardware budget in the area and it swallowed up a fare percent of the over all budget. So it was a constant fight over the software (I won't *EVEN* get into SAS Software cost) .

Having a choice as to SMF record type is mandatory if you are going to be cutting them but there should be a better way (OR) IBM could expand the number of SMF record types. Fat chance on this but feel free to submit a SHARE requirement. Some of the vendors know this and put in an 8 character product name that is a step in the right direction but really not a complete answer as sometimes you need other fields to differentiate releases etc. which have to be put in extensions and then it gets a little more difficult to spin records off, its a mess, IMO.

Ed