I have not followed this thread so forgive if this was covered earlier...

Speaking off the top of my head (yeah, I know, I know...)

I need to leave aside the fact that any change to an OEM's SMF record
requires tweaking of any vendor record specific downstream processing.  If
all this processing is done in-house, that's no big deal.  A slight tweak to
Barry's MXG record definitions, could handle that.  If the data is sent to
the vendor, that is easy as well.  Just coble something together to reverse
the changes.

How about looking into writing an SMF Dump Program exit where you would
modify the OEM SMF records on the fly and use your own record-type/sub-type
numbering scheme.  As the records pass through your exit, you would modify
the appropriate records before they are written to the SMF dump tape/disk
file.

1. If the vendor's SMF record uses a header with the SMFxSTY (subtype)
field, dump a few thousand of their records to see if they actually use the
STY field or is the value constant.  If constant, it's possibly ripe for you
to use.  For this type of record, change the record type and subtype to your
liking. XX for the record type and yy for sub-type for vendor yy, and zz for
vendor zz and so on.

2. If the vendor's SMF record does not use a header with the SMFxSTY
(subtype) field (most likely), you have two options.
A. You could reformat the record header to make it support subtypes.
Allocate a buffer to rebuild the record, copy the existing original 18 byte
header and actual Vendor SMF record data to the appropriate area in the
buffer and change the record type then insert the subtype in the SSY field
to represent that specific vendor.  Of course, if the vendor's record uses
triplet fields, they would need to be modified as well.  I would review the
documentation from the vendor for this information.  As for the SSI field, I
would ignore it since it was never there in the first place.

B. You could use the SMFxFLG field.  I look at records all the time and "I"
do not recall ever seeing a vendor actually using this field; of course
YMMV.  That said, I dumped a  million SMF records between 128-255 they all
contain the same value; 1E in my case.  You could use this field for your
vendor specific sub-type value and then change the record type.  Of course,
this will only provide you a 16:1 reduction in used records types but that's
better than nothing. ;)

..

Now, if one were to entertain this idea, the big question is, if multiple
vendors use the same SMF record type, how does one distinguish one vendor's
record from the others that are using the same record type.  Generally,
there is almost always some type of eye-catcher in the record that would
give it away.

A simple branch table/array to identify the records to process.  In that
table/array you could have an offset to the eye-catcher location to
interrogate and another pointer to an array of values to compare against,
any one of which would be a hit.

JMTC...