John McKown wrote on 01/29/2008 09:46:53 AM:
> This is likely a strange question. But does anybody know of anything
> which can take a COBOL copy book (file defination) and create DFSORT
> symbols? Or maybe something that can post process a COBOL compile
> listing and create DFSORT symbols?
>
> What I would like is a way to __easily__ create a DFSORT step which can
> read an input file and do selection and reformatting so that the
> resulting output file is simply "printable" EBCDIC. This output file
> would then be ftp'ed to a Windows / Linux server which would use it to
> update a relational database. We don't have any relational database
> software on z/OS. I want to use symbols so that, hopefully, even a
> non-programmer could easily learn how to write such a "program".

John,

We have a Rexx in the "Smart DFSORT Tricks" document that can do what
you asked for.  See "Create DFSORT Symbols from COBOL COPYs" at:

http://www.ibm.com/servers/storage/support/software/sort/mvs/tricks/

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Specialties: PARSE, JFY, SQZ, ICETOOL, IFTHEN, OVERLAY, Symbols, Migration

 => DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort/