On 29 Jan 2008 12:06:47 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lizette
Koehler) wrote:

>I am trying to help out an application group that is designing forms on a PC
>and then uploading them to the mainframe for printing.
>
>We have an Infoprint 4445 Printer (?) and what they want to see is an Arial
>Font that is about a 12 pitch.  I do not have a pitch ruler so I am guessing
>at the 12, it maybe smaller.

I'm not familiar with your printer, but I've written programs that
used special fonts (and even colors) on mainframe printers.   These
have been designed to work with the printer control language.

Think of Postscript - except what I passed was simpler and less
universal.   The JCL would include a line such as:

//             PRTM2='(R,,747S),DEST=R0010',

which loads the print program into the printer and tells the operator
what paper to use.    Then my CoBOL includes control characters that
that print program recognized to pick the font.     My current printer
looks at a character in column 1 and prints a line with that font.
Such lines don't have to include form feeds, allowing multiple fonts
on a printed page.

This is highly individual - you have to work with the particular
mainframe printer.