From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Ed Gould
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 2:00 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SPAM: How to suppress some informational VTAM messages ?

On Jan 30, 2008, at 10:41 PM, Patrick O'Keefe wrote:

>> ... I never figured out how to make sense out of NPDA ...
> (Sorry about taking that quote out of order.)
>
> That isn't exactly the fault of the product (and doesn't relate to
> automation anyway).   I was able to figure it out well enough that
> I've been generating my own alerts for years.  As we've moved away
> from SNA networks there are many fewer devices and programs
> issuing their own alerts, but NPDA on a "focal point" NetView is a
> great central place to collect program-generated alerts notifying you
> of situations needing attention.
>
> Pat O'Keefe

Pat:

Getting back to my point NPDA was a PITA to just get a handle on what
was going on. Every time I want to see some error it wasn't there.
Heck half the time I had trouble finding the ******* LU. I will be
the first to admit I never attended a class on the thing but every
time I would picked up a manual and go through the process I could
not find what I was looking for. Plus as far as I could figure out
there was no way to purge the database so I ended up putting it in
NETVIEW at start up to delete and define the database. The splits got
so bad and the pack busies got really bad (almost as much as the JES2
checkpoint) It just wasn't worth the effort to figure out how to fix
it. It was easier just to bring down Netview and delete/define the
data bases.

For what it was designed for its probably OK but I would not
recommend it (in reality AFAIK there is no other package out there)
so its sort of mandatory you buy it. The network help desk could not
even begin to figure it out. The only way I could get real
information was to run TAF to trace items. BTW 95 percent of the time
when I opened a 37xx (NCP) IBM always asked for a ACFTAP trace not
what was in NPDA.

The other 5 percent were extremely minor issues and I had the ACFTAF
trace printed and ready to fax by the time they called back. They
could could have accessed NPDA so from my perspective NPDA was
essentially a waste of time.

I thought I made it clear that I was not comparing netview to opsmvs.

Ed

Ed