However, IND$FILE transfers are very slow compared to FTP.  I doubt
anybody would choose IND$FILE if FTP were available.

IND$FILE is slower at most installations because VTAM is not optimized for throughput, but instead for robustness of delivery. I've been at some shops where VTAM screams and have gotten 1M (1000KB) per second with IND$FILE. So it ain't always slower than FTP, and it's certainly more convenient, unless you have a GUI FTP.

Regards,
Tom Conley