I'm a bit confused now. Are you saying that you have indeed successfully
done a STARTBR on a single file multiple times without a corresponding
ENDBR in a given transaction? If so, then my intepretation of the book
is wrong and I see nothing particularly wrong with what you are doing.
If this is working, then it must be that the second STARTBR for a file
overrides the first one. I know this is how it works in COBOL batch
programs with the COBOL START verb (i.e. the second START overrides and
replaces the first START). Or as Emily Litella would say: "Never mind."

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.