On 6 Feb 2008 15:28:20 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>>I don't want to offend anyone, but if you're worried about CPU microseconds
>>and coding in high-level languages, I would suggest there is a fundamental
>disconnect and it makes me think you're not really serious.
>
>Hear! Hear!
>I cannot count the number of times I have overseen an upgrade to a processor,
>and had management complain that throughput, or response, had not improved.
>
>Most of the time, I had already told them that there was an I/O bottleneck,
>tape-drive contention, scheduling, etc. issue.
>But, they told me to upgrade the processor, anyways.
>Yes, we usually needed the processor, but the other issues would usually give
>us a better improvement.
>
>Empirically, I have seen that the I/O content of most processing (online or
>batch) has increased since the early 1980's. This is especially true if you
>are using DB2.
>
>I have had a lot of one-hour+ jobs using less than 2 minutes of CPU. We call
>these I/O-bound jobs.
>So, even if I double the speed of the CPU, I have improved these long running
>jobs by one minute.
>
>Microseconds don't count, any more.

When doing application tuning in COBOL, I checked the CPU time versus
run time.  A few programs had enough CPU that it was worth while to go
further.  Most of the time elimination of I-O was the better route and
I really did well with monitored use of batch LSR.  One large CPU
consumer re-read records and wrote out unchanged records so caching by
record type and doing a full record compare saved over a million reads
and thousands of writes.  I also tuned a date routine after warning
people that even though it was a somewhat heavy consumer, it was less
than 10 percent of the CPU in that program.  I could prove that I got
a 50 percent improvement in the date calculation speed but in practice
it was a nit.  Because I had given the warning and also could show the
improvement in the date calculation itself, they kept me on for
another 4 years.

Clark Morris