Clark Morris wrote:
On 13 Feb 2008 08:21:59 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steve Comstock
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:49 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Curious(?) way to ZIP a mainframe file.

McKown, John wrote:
[snip]

I don't look for zAAP information on anything. "The

mainframe is going

away" is the mantra and nothing that I have done in the

past can even

get the attention of management. They simply don't seem to

want to be

bothered with the System z in any manner.

John,

I was going through some of my old emails the other day
and I noticed you writing "the mainframe is dying is the
motto around here" on July 22, 2005.

So it seems to be taking its own sweet time. Is this
the kind of situation Stephen Y Odo writes about? He's
in the 18th year of a five year plan to get rid of
the mainframe.

Too true. In fact, the mainframe stayed and management "went away" (was
allowed to persue other interests or some such HR-speak). But the motto
has stayed.

Maybe someone in your management might be amenable to
recognizing that the reality is the mainframe is not
going away at UICI Insurance Center.

The current management still says that it is going away (despite the
fact that the workload is growing). They base this on the plan to
replace the mainframe software with COTS software running on other
platforms such as Linux (Windows is now considered to be "also ran"
around here). They just haven't really found the COTS software that they
need yet.

Unfortunately even if the mainframe were considered, the probability
of finding COTS software that both meets the business need and runs on
the mainframe is slim.

Sorry. What is COTS?

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques