On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:23:45 -0600, Kelman, Tom
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>When WLM was set up in this shop about 5 years ago the DDF workload was
>extremely low.  The person that set up WLM assigned DDF to "NEWWORK".
>Over the past year DDF processing has growing considerably to where it
>is now taking approximately 10% of the production LPAR during prime
>shift.  Most of this work is our Online Banking and Online Teller
>applications making direct requests to DB2 on the z/OS system, so it is
>an important workload.  We want to pull DDF out of NEWWORK and give it
>its own service class.  Does anyone have any recommendations as to how
>to set up a service class for DDF, or can you point me to some good
>documentation on the subject?  Thanks for any help you can give.

Someone (I think Tom Moulder) recently posted about WLM / DB2 and
included a link to a paper / recommendations.  Cheryl Watson has also
published things, but I'm not sure if it is on her web site.  Here starter
policy is though.

Here is what I do:

I have DDF work classified as production vs. test/development just like other
workloads (I have 3 levels).  The first 2 ("high" and "med") both have 2
periods with the first period having a response time goal / duration and the
2nd period having a velocity goal at a lower importance.  The 3rd srvclass
(default, catch all, used for batch processes) has 3 periods.  The 2nd
period has a very long duration (200000) and the 3rd period is discretionary.
The highest one is importance 1 and is only used for WebSphere created
enclaves (no DB2 data sharing in this environment and WAS runs on a
separate LPAR).

I used (and still do use) RMF post processor and RMF III to monitor the
distribution between periods and to help come up with a good "cut off".

Don't use response time goals if  THREADS=ACTIVE or RELEASE(DEALLOCATE).

HTH,

Mark
--
Mark Zelden