At 2008-03-04 10:01, Gary Diehl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about
"Re: Setting up a service class for DDF" to IBM-Main:

> We also started years ago with one or two DDF service classes, [snip]
> most effective has been to code a HI/MED/LOW setup [snip] each with
> ONE and ONLY ONE service class period [snip]

> We found that as DDF transactions moved from period to period, [snip]

An extra item I'd like to point at is the type of DDF thread (Active
vs. InActive modes) affects your goal choice/achievement.  To quote
the SysProgs guide to WLM RedBook (SG24-6472),

"In Active mode the enclave is classified when it starts.  If the
enclave is reused by different work with different goals, all work is
assigned to the goal of the enclave; that is, it is classified using
the characteristic of the first work joining the enclave."

and

"Because threads that are always active do not terminate the enclave
and thus do not reset the performance period to the first period, a
long-running thread always ends up in the last performance period.
Any new business units of work that use that thread will suffer the
performance consequences.  This makes performance periods
unattractive for long-running threads.  For always active threads,
therefore, use velocity goals and use a single-period Service Class."

'course, *we're* still using Active DDF threads here; likely for
historical reasons.  However, the next time the DBAs & clients
complain of response problems when some MS-Access thread decides to
join & draw-down 15 entire tables, my first response will start,
"Well, you know we could change our threads and ..."  *grin*  (The
2nd idea will be for them to decide which plans/packages should be
moved to less aggressive Service Classes.)

---------->  signature = 6 lines follows <--------------
Neil Duffee, Joe SysProg, U d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                 fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uottawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?" Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent" John Norgauer
2004