The true problem is that the LIKE= parameter does not send the dataset
organization across.

I've known about this for years.  At one time in the early 1990's I opened a
PMR about it.  This was an attempt to create a VSAM KSDS wanting to use the
LIKE= parameter much the same way as the IDCAMS MODEL paramter.  It would
have saved an IDCAMS step, allowing even an IEFBR14 to be used.  Instead the
job kept getting sequential files created with incorrect space allocations also.

This would have made file reorg jobs much simpler.

I basically got a deaf ear back then.