In a message dated 2/18/2008 11:18:35 A.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>I THINK the difference arises because of the key. While many of us tend
to ignore the key when referring to directory block, Seymour chooses NOT
to ignore this value.

I now see the source of the communications problem, which was exacerbated  by
Seymour's predilection to post one-word cryptic replies or, in the case of
his reply to my post, a riddle.  The poster wrote ">Just to clarify:  size of
dir. block is always 256 B".  The meaning of the word "size"  depends on
whether you mean in virtual storage or stored on a disk  track.  In virtual
storage,
the size of a directory block is 272 bytes  (count+key+data), as I described
in my previous post.  But if stored on a  disk track, it depends on the device
type but is always a lot more than 272,  which Seymour had in mind but did
not reveal to us.  The word "block"  might (correctly) mean to some the entire
stored record (count+key+data)  while (incorrectly) only the data area to
others.  This confusion has also  not been helped by IBM documentation, which
sometimes refers to a DASD block  stored on a track as a "block" and at other
times
a "record".

Bill  Fairchild

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)