-------------------<snip>-----------------

It's always best to consider the audience; I got into the habit of referring to the 256-byte data portion of the actual record as the directory block, ignoring the key and count portions, when talking to application folks.

Doesn't that confuse them when they need to specify sizes? Or do they add
in a large enough fudge factor that it doesn't cause problems?
In the last shop I was in, all but one member of the application staff considered it was "beneath them" to define their own PDS datasets. They'd just send a request to systems staff, and management said we had to do it, period. Stupid attitude from stupid managers. Go figure.