Why would esoterics have any effect?  Once an allocation is SMS managed
esoterics have no bearing, unless I am missing something?

>>> Thomas H Puddicombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2/18/2008 2:32 PM >>>
Dumb question you've already checked:  is the appropriate esoteric defined
with the correct address range?

Tom Puddicombe
Mainframe Performance & Capacity Planning
CSC North American Public Sector - Civil Group

Computer Sciences Corporation
Registered Office: 2100 East Grand Avenue, El Segundo California 90245, USA
Registered in USA No: C-489-59

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

delivery.
purpose.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

             "McKown, John"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             THMARKETS.COM>                                             To
             Sent by: IBM              IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
             Mainframe                                                  cc
             Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     ATL drive allocation problem.

             02/18/2008 01:26
             PM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .EDU>

We did a DR last week (and I immediately go sick the day after ---
coincidence? You decide!). Anyway, one problem that we had was that we
could only get 8 of the 16 ATL drives to become allocated. Note that all
16 drives would successfully come on line! It is just that when drives
0-7 were allocated, with drives 8-16 being unallocated and online, a job
which needed the 9th drive would wait with the message:

IEF289E JOBNAME STEPNAME WAITING FOR VOLUME(S) OR UNIT(S)

No, it was not trying to mount an already mounted tape volumes, I
checked that.

At home, we only have 6 physical drives. Oh, these are 3952J drives. At
home, we have a 3584-L22. At DR, they have an older 3494 (don't know the
model). I have genned the entire 16 devices in our normal HCD. I genned
the 3494 first as having all 16 drives on a single CU. That did not
work. I then genned drives 0-7 on one CU and 8-F on a separate CU. All
16 drives worked on the "floor system", so I know that drives do indeed
work. I am convinced that it is something weird in my gen, but I am
totally stumped as to what it could be. Oh, yes, the LIBPORT ids are
correct. As I said, the drives will vary online. They just are not
allocated for some reason. Could this be an SMS parameter of some sort?

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.

CONFIDENTIALITY/EMAIL NOTICE: The material in this transmission contains
confidential and privileged information intended only for the addressee.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received
this material in error and that any forwarding, copying, printing,
distribution, use or disclosure of the material is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this material in error, please (i) do not read it, (ii) reply to
the sender that you received the message in error, and (iii) erase or destroy
the material. Emails are not secure and can be intercepted, amended, lost or
destroyed, or contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if
you communicate with us by email. Thank you.