On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:30:03 +0100, Miklos Szigetvari wrote:

>    For me this more or less clear.
>I have here a number of collegues from NT and Unix , and they don't
>understand why the 0.5% CPU time is a matter:
>
>/"Would somebody knowledgeable please explain to me why some host people
>get their panties in a knot (I love colorful expressions!) over a few
>dozen MBs and a CPU usage of 0.5%? Are there real reasons for this, or
>are they simply stuck in a 1960s mindset? How much can 408 CPU-seconds
>per day cost?"
>/

The question really needs to be researched from a different perspective:

  Does this 408 CPU-seconds come from (1) a peak time of day, or (2) is it
evenly distributed throughout the entire 24 hour period, or (3) is it primarily
from off-peak (overnight) timeframes?

If it is the first then the cost is substantially higher than it appears when
just
looking at raw numbers - even to their mindset.

If it is the second then the cost is still relatively expensive during peak and
is
a (small) contributor to earlier upgrades and higher software license fees.

If it is the third - using primarily unused or "mop up" cycles then it isn't so
bad - even with a 1960s mindset.

--
Tom Schmidt