-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Gerhard Adam
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:16 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Price of CPU seconds

> That example stated that $800 per CPU/hr was the cost for a machine
> (undefined as to number of CPUs, MSUs, etc.). It also did not state
> what the system software cost, etc. It was a number used to give an
example.
> And it was about what the cost was for an Amdahl 5990-1400 w/ 2 Gig
> C-Store and 2 Gig E-Store (and I can't tell you what circus bureau had

> that cost per CPU hour, but I used to work in the facility).
>
> So, the more processors you have to split the costs across, the lower
> the CPU/hr charge may be. And those charges are based on the SMF
> collected times (since that is what fed the accounting system).
>
> And then there could be charges for I/Os, tape mounts, ATL mounts,
etc.
> (all things done by Circus Bureaus).
>
> So it is not so ridiculous.

It is clearly ridiculous since the projected $7,000,000 (by your own
definition) doesn't include peripherals.  Also, more processors doesn't
SPLIT costs, it multiplies them since more power is presumably available
for more work.  Since a single unit of work can only take advantage of a
single engine, then costs should have no bearing.  Same service consumed
regardless.
<SNIP>

Since what I have said is so ridiculous, why don't you take a crack at
answering the original question? Then we can all take pot shots at what
you say, pointing out that the example you used, based on a real system,
is absolutely _____ [fill in the blank].

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- All opinions expressed by me are my own and may not necessarily
reflect those of my employer. --