All I can say is I have 4.1 or 550 for z/OS and there is not one shred of USS support in the product that I can find. I was told that if I wanted that support I needed Omegamon for USS. So if this is the case, even the support people and the marketing people are unaware of it. I actually use Sysview from CA for my USS monitoring. Omegamon has no idea if I have an HFS or where it is.
So if its there, I'd love to know where.

Doug

Timothy Sipples wrote:
snip>>>>>>>>>>>
I cannot comment on everything mentioned in this thread, but I can comment
on this area.

Candle used to have every monitor priced separately, yes. IBM changed at
least some of that. As of V4.1 (December, 2006), the single Tivoli OMEGAMON
XE for z/OS product now includes UNIX System Services monitoring, for
example. Cryptographic monitoring used to be separate, and now that's in
the same product, too. As another example, Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for Mainframe
Networks combines TCP/IP and VTAM functions. IBM also has a no-charge
Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for z/OS Management Console product which you may
download.

You may be remembering MAINVIEW, in fact, and have this reversed in your
recollection. BMC lists MAINVIEW for z/OS, MAINVIEW for VTAM, MAINVIEW for
IP, and MAINVIEW for UNIX System Services separately, among other monitors.
I believe ASG's TMON is very similar in its splits, to pick another
example. Or it's possible you missed the December, 2006, announcements
where this changed after IBM acquired Candle. That's OK -- sometimes it's
hard to keep up. Mainframes have a lot of velocity now.

In fairness I really don't think this packaging factor is particularly
important. Each vendor is trying to establish the "right" granularity for
their monitoring products because each customer is different. That way you
can pay for as much or as little function as you need. Lately IBM has been
consolidating more functions into the single products (e.g. OMEGAMON XE for
z/OS and for Mainframe Networks) since, at least in IBM's experience, most
customers now need more base functions -- simplicity over "too much"
granularity, basically. At the same time IBM may introduce more new
monitors. Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for CICS Transaction Gateway is the only
product that monitors CICS TG, for example, and is a very recent addition
to the family.

As for the other comments in this thread, I would suggest getting the
requirements into SHARE and through other avenues. I know there's a lot of
IBM effort to work through requirements, and a lot has been done but more
to come. One thing that I care about personally is that V4.1 OMEGAMON XE
products now have complete Japanese language support, so that's quite
helpful here.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]