From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 2:27 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Portmap start task

We run PORTMAP in a service class called DAEMON. Its WLM classification
is Importance=1, velocity=50.

I have __no__ idea how this relates to Libstation, HSC, et al. The only
thing that I know of that uses this is NFS. Perhaps your "portmap" is
not the standard "portmap"? The standard portmap simply keeps track of
port names with their associated logical names. That way, a client can
ask portmap: "What port should I connect to in order to access service
bubba?". The bubba service, running on the z/OS system, would have
previously sent a request to portmap on the order of: "Hey! This here is
bubba, what port do you want me to listen on for work?". Portmap would
then tell bubba what port to listen on. A client would ask portmap what
port bubba was listening on and connect to that port in order to talk to
bubba. Portmap sees very little use around here.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer