that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shmuel Metz  , Seymour J.) writes:
> I was the one advocating Script for word processing, not John. If IBM ever
> ports the products to Linux or OS/2, I'll start using them at home.

original script was done at the science center
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

for (cp67) cms, in the mid-60s ... carry over from ctss application
... used "run-off" like "dot" commands (i may even still have an old,
hardcopy script manual in a box someplace). reference to the CTSS
command
http://web.mit.edu/Saltzer/www/publications/CC-244.html

gml was invented at the science center in 1969 ("g", "m", and "l"
are initials of the last names of the three people involved)
and a decade or so later went thru the international standardization
process for sgml
http://xml.coverpages.org/sgmlhist0.html
http://www.sgmlsource.com/history/roots.htm
other post posts mentioning gml, sgml, etc
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#sgml

gml tag processing had been added to script ... and for quite some time
... you could find documents that contained a mixture of "dot" formating
commands and gml "tags".

the cp67 and vm370 documents were done with script ... and its use
perculated into the rest of the company. one of the first such use was
for principles of operation ... which had two flavors ... that could be
controlled with cms command line option ... producing either the "full"
architecture manual or the principles of operation subset.

univ. of waterloo did a lot of vm370/cms based stuff ... including a
script clone ... which found its way to a number of customer
installations ... the following discusses the evolution at cern from
sgml into html:
http://infomesh.net/html/history/early
and cern sister lab, SLAC had the first webserver outside of
europe, on the slac/vm system
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/history/earlyweb/history.shtml
waterloo script page
http://csg.uwaterloo.ca/sdtp/watscr.html