Dennis,

I have direct experience with CA1, TLMS, RMM, Control-T and Zara. All 5 of these tape management systems do this the same way. The label type is associated with the volume and not the dataset. There seems to be an assumption by the TMS vendors that there will not be a mix of label types for stacked datasets.

HTH

Best regards,
Dee Shrier
Dino-Software Corporation
800-480-DINO (3466)
www.dino-software.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dennis Trojak wrote:
I have a multi-file tape that is a mix of both SL and SUL labels. When I
inquire on the volume or individual datasets using the RMM panels or
reports that use the CDS records I always get whatever the first file on
the physical tape happens to be. According to IBM there is no field that
contains the actual label type of each individual dataset on the tape.
Is this the same for the "other" tape management systems? (Russell, are
U lurking??) IBM has offered to open a marketing requirement if I can
justify the request for label information per DSN along with volume.
Dennis