NJE is by far the best solution, but since they are reluctant to implement
it there isn't much you can do about it.  There is a product that the
company I work for sells, called SyzSpool which actively manages the JES
spool and allows you to manage the output by sending it files that are able
to be viewed, FTP'ed, Emailed, etc. and is very inexpensive.  There are some
other vendors as well that make similar products, but I think ours has the
best features for the absolute lowest cost (of course).

You can get more information at http://www.syzygyinc.net/SyzSpool.aspx

Also, members of IBMMAIN get a discount on the prices of all of our software
as well.

Brian