On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 16:05 -0400, Lizette Koehler wrote:
> I am curious.  Do I care if it is full or if it has a lot of splits
> (CA/CI)?  I had one catalog in my past we called a database because it
> was over 700,000 entries.  We reorged it every weekend because it
> performed poorly due to the splits, not the size.

I think that in general you don't want to reorg catalogs.  Splits have a
beneficial effect insofar as they introduce free space in the right
places.

You might have problems when you do many inserts in increasing key
sequence.  I seem to remember from my VSAM days that you can end up with
a cluster full of half-filled control intervals.

--
David Andrews
A. Duda and Sons, Inc.